Friday 17 May 2013

LMMS 0.4.14

The new version of LMMS comes with a bunch of new features and improvements. About time, some of us might say, it has been over a year since the latest release. Now the final version is here! I haven´t really got around to make use of all the features yet, but I´ll throw my opinion at you anyway.

A feature I personally like is the auto-naming of soundfonts and VSTi´s. It comes in very handy if you have a file and you don´t remember which soundfont or VSTi you used. Of course it also means you don't have to name all your different tracks strange names... At least my tracks often got some weird names. A strange thing I found was that if I opened old tracks made in 0.4.13 the names I had given them was overwritten by LMMS. Not a big deal, I ain't working on them no more, however if I were it would definitely be a problem. So I suggest finishing all songs in 0.4.13 before going to 0.4.14.

I am not the best guy in the world when it comes to mastering, perhaps less successful in mastering is more fitting.I have never tried to master a song in another program (Audacity, Ardour), which probably is the best thing to do, and so I have yet to actually need the feature "Export Tracks". I have tried it once, it worked, and so I guess it will be well accepted by many of you, and me in the feature.

The auto-save feature could be nice, but I have also experienced that LMMS crashes when saving in the middle of a play, and thus I have learned to save regularly and not in the middle of a play.

Just to get this article out before 0.4.15 arrives I quickly finishes now. I got the Hydrogen import to work, and I have used Hydrogen before. I somehow find that it is easier to produce good drum patterns in Hydrogen, and so with an easy import to LMMS this is getting really interesting.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lmms/files/lmms/0.4.14/


1 comment :

  1. "So I suggest finishing all songs in 0.4.13 before going to 0.4.14."
    Thanks for the tip. I was about to switch to the latest version until I read this. Thanks for the heads up!

    Audacity is eh in mastering. I do not like to use it because you can't master in real time. At this moment, I'm using Mulab or the free version of FL studio to master most of my tracks.

    Great job with this blog btw!

    ReplyDelete