Thursday 20 March 2014

Best of LMMS Vol.1 (album)

The first ever album made by the LMMS community for the LMMS community! You can buy the album and support development of LMMS :-)

Buy album on Bandcamp

Listen to the album on Soundcloud

For those of you on social media... you already know this, but I am still going to write about it. A review, kind of. I recently bought the album and must say this is high quality music! I know perfectly well that good LMMS artists produce good songs now and then, but I have never heard any of those songs together. Outstanding! It is overwhelming to hear it for real and actually in good quality. Now I understand how much Soundcloud's compression ruin my listening experience... Songs I have heard before just sounds better on this album. I am not making it up.

The album features a wide variety of genres: ambient, chiptune(!), dubstep, electronic, electro-swing(!), house, trap, trance, orchestral, rap(!), . Each song sounds different. You can't really tell that these songs was made in LMMS by just listening to the instruments and sample. If I am to say one "negative" and obvious thing about this album it is that the levels (dig deeper and you find that it is the mastering) is not even. This naturally must happen when different artists on different levels around the world produce songs independently and then put them on an album. The only solution is to lower the level of some songs, and no artist who has worked hard on mastering a song wants to lower it's level. I can tell you that. The jumps in level isn't too much of a problem, at least not when you sit back and just want to enjoy the music, like I did.

Notice that six of the perhaps best LMMS artists didn't have the opportunity to contribute their works, simply because they were the judges. Actually that means that 7 of the best LMMS artists didn't made it to the album because of this, theses six is in fact together the group Avelocity. Big thanks go to: Stakeout Punch, Second Flight, ManiaRib, Umcaruje, Raptor980 and Combustible Lemonade.

No comments :

Post a Comment